Kirkland Forest Day
- Presented By: City of Kirkland
- Dates: October 15, 2022
- Time: 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM
The City of Kirkland invites the community to celebrate Kirkland Forest Day with forest stewardship, a tree giveaway, ceremonial tree planting and more on October 15, 2022, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Juanita Beach Park.
The Forest Day schedule of activities include:
· 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.: Green Kirkland Volunteer Stewardship Event. Volunteers will lend a hand and learn about forest habitat around Juanita Creek.
· 12 – 12:30 p.m.: Ceremonial Tree Planting. Join City of Kirkland staff as we plant a tree at Juanita Beach Park to celebrate Arbor Day.
· 12 – 2 p.m.: Tree Giveaway with King Conservation District. Two (2) 5-gallon FREE trees per property will be available for pickup. There are 20 different species, both native and non-native, available. Trees must be planted on private property within Kirkland with permission from the landowner.
· 12 – 2 p.m.: Forest Day Learning Booths and Demonstrations. Learn about your garden, your tree, current City programs such as the Tree Rebate Program, Comprehensive Plan updates, and Energy Smart Heat Pump Campaign, and ask questions of King County Master Gardeners who will have a booth at the event.
The City is hosting Forest Day in recognition of Arbor Day, which officially occurs in April but is recognized in some communities in the fall in alignment with the planting season. Hosting an Arbor Day celebration is one of the requirements to receive an annual Tree City USA recognition, which Kirkland has received for 20 years.
Kirkland maintains an Urban Forest Strategic Management Plan that provides a framework of performance measures for sustainable urban forest management. The City also measures its tree canopy cover with a goal of a 40% canopy cover. For more information on all things trees in Kirkland, visit kirklandwa.gov/trees.
This event is led by the City of Kirkland Planning and Building Department in partnership with the Green Kirkland Partnership and King Conservation District. For questions about Kirkland Forest Day, contact Katie Hogan at KHogan@kirklandwa.gov or 425-587-3289.